Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The basis of my vote this time around

In past elections I have always based my vote on the candidate whose position on social issues is closest to mine. I look at things like their position on abortion, civil rights, environmental protection, consumer protection, financial support for higher education, and (as of late), war.

Recent personal events have forced me to re-prioritize my issues of concern. I now look more closely at the candidate's position on economic issues. I have never really paid much attention to that in the past, except where those positions intersect with social issues (like increasing federal grants for college). Now, I am much more interested in where the candidate stands on tax policy, extension of unemployment benefits, and general spending policies.

Every economist of any regard has said that we are heading into a recession. The most cautious don't bother to try to predict how long it will last. However, even if the country begins to improve mid-summer, as some optimists suggest, the effects on the middle class, working class, and the poor will linger much longer. At least not without some serious intervention by the government.

I am lucky that I am involved in the kind of work that keeps me employed pretty much all of the time. Not always full time, but nonetheless employed. I am also lucky that my husband works under a union contract that virtually guarantees his employment for at least the next 3 years. However, my father is not so lucky. His company, a large national printing operation, is shutting down. He will be out of a job in 6 months, maybe less. It appears that they will have to sell their home of 20 years, a house they were hoping to give to one of my sisters and her new family, in order to weather this period. My sister is in no position to buy a house right now. As my mother says, how do you take twenty years of memories and move them to a smaller place?

This is the human element of this economic crisis. But it forces me to look at the candidate whose policy proposals will support people like my parents. I want a president and Congress who will extend unemployment benefits. I want universal health insurance. I want a realistic poverty line and food stamps to be extended to the working class. I want homeowner protections from unscrupulous mortgage brokers and laws that prevent people from signing onto mortgages they cannot afford. I don't need this for myself. I want this for my parents and my sisters and every one else like them.

As an independent voter, and someone who takes that seriously, I will have to even give the Republican candidates a look. I am looking for the candidate who has the political will or creativity to support the increasing numbers of people like my parents. If the Democratic nominee isn't willing or able to do that, then I may have to vote with the other side this time.

2 comments:

Jim said...

I go with the candidate that I see as the most liberal, as all my views are far to the left. Usually the choices aren't progressive enough for me, which is why I spent a couple of years registered as a member of the Green Party.

I've been back in the big D party for a couple years now and there is virtually nothing more important for the country and the entire world than getting the GOP out of power. I am desperate for a Democratic win in November, and I think that Barack Obama has a better chance of beating John McCain than Hillary Clinton does.

Beyond that, I think that Obama is an inspirational candidate and I think that he would be most successful and bringing the Congress and the nation along with him on tough decisions.

N.starluna said...

I agree that the Republicans have to go. I think much of the country feels the same, or at least I want to believe that. I do think that McCain, if he gets a good enough running mate, will be a tough competitor whether the Democratic nominee is Clinton or Obama.

I agree that Obama is inspirational, but I hope that he brings in the right people and gets the right policies passed to improve the economic situation. I've actually heard some economists use the word "depression" the other day. It takes a lot for an academic economist to say something like that, even one as pessimistic as the gentleman who said it. With my dad about to lose his job, this has become the one most important issue I care about this time.